I have had the opportunity to serve on the Board during some of the most trying financial times the system and state have seen. As Chair, I led the Board into a Strategic Visioning Process to focus efforts and resources on four key priorities: increase student achievement, retention and success; increase transparency, accountability and performance; review and revise programs to support innovation and responsiveness; and ensure accessibility and affordability.
During these trying times, we managed to open the Joe Crowley Student Union, IGT-Mathewson Knowledge Center, Living Learning Community, and Pennington Health Sciences Facilities at the University of Nevada, Reno; Greenspun Hall, Mendenhall Center, Student Union, and Science & Engineering Building at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; Nursing, Science, and Education Building and the Student Activities and Administration Building at Nevada State College; and the Computational Research & Visualization Building at the Desert Research Institute. The IGT and Redfield campuses of TMCC are currently undergoing renovation and expansion to improve health care and career & technical education.
The Board achievements accomplished during my tenure include:
• Establishment of full four year medical schools in northern and southern Nevada.
• Implementation of a new, more equitable performance based funding formula.
• Requirement of institutions to review programs in the context of degree productivity.
• 15 to Finish - data driven initiative to improve time to gradation.
• Emphasis on Access and Affordability.
• Establishment of Efficiency and Effectiveness Initiative.
• Establishment of Nevada College Collaborative to share services, share talent and eliminate duplication.
• Increase in system wide graduation rates.
• Creation of a strategic plan focused on student learning outcomes.
• Implementation of variable tuition pricing.
• Increase in value of endowment accounts.